Friday, May 14, 2010

Small hoop house









I decided I needed another garden, so I took over my son's sandbox. Since he is a teen now and doesn't use his sandbox, the area was up for grabs. I put two hoops made of pvc to put plastic on to hold in moisture for new seedlings. This also kept out the wild birds and our cats that wanted to use the sandbox as their litterbox. I installed a small dripline and covered the ground with straw. This worked better than expected until the winds picked up. It was tough trying to secure the plastic down and the plants would dry out. Some even rotted after drying out, then upon getting the plastic back on, got slimy on the dead leaf parts.

I had planned on replacing the plastic with a shade cloth during the summer, but the plants dried out too much and if left with some ventilation on the bottom, the squash did pretty good. The soil was amended but contained more sand than my other garden and consumed alot of water. The winter garden did better. It produced quite a bit of turnip greens, onions, carrots and lettuce in the small area ( 6 feet by 6 feet).

No comments:

Post a Comment